Buy and assign to
via email link
Who is this course for?
All relevant personnel
Is previous experience required?
You do not need prior knowledge or experience to complete this course and it is assumed that you are competent in your designated role
How will this course benefit me?
This course aims to give an overview of rigging and lifting operations
How will this course benefit my company?
By ensuring you have an overview of rigging and lifting operations
What standards are referred to in this course?
The Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations (LOLER) 1998
The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (PUWER) 1998
The Safe Use of Lifting Equipment: Approved Code of Practice (ACOP)
Lifting Equipment at Work Guidance
The Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations
Is there an assessment?
Once you have completed the course, you will be asked a series of questions to check your knowledge and understanding. These are based on the learning objectives for the course and have a pass mark of 80%.
Section One: Introduction to Lifting and Rigging
• Give an overview of the lifting operations used in the Oil and Gas Industry
• Outline the UK legislation associated with lifting and rigging operations
• Outline the Dropped Objects Prevention Scheme (DROPS) programme
• Describe the relevant roles and responsibilities involved in lifting and rigging
• Describe the role of the Responsible Person
• Describe the role of the Competent Person
• Describe the role of the Lift Supervisor
• Describe the role of the Technical Authority
• Describe the role of the Banksman
• Describe the role of the Crane Operator
• Describe the role of the Rigger
• Outline the main hazards associated with lifting and rigging
Section 2 Planning a Lift
• Outline the documentation used in planning a lift
• Describe the purpose and general layout of a lift plan
• Describe how using a lifting operations flowchart can help lift planning
• Describe the risk assessment process in lifting operations
• Outline the importance of certification
• Describe the use of lift plan checklist sheets
Section 3 Undertaking Lifts
• Outline lifting equipment selection
• Describe rigging selection
• Outline positioning considerations
• Describe the Tool Box Talk
• Outline pre-lift checks
• Describe the safe execution of the lift
• Describe the importance of stopping the job
• Explain how lessons learned and a close-out report can assist in future lifts
Section 4 Rigging Operations without the Use of a Crane
• Describe the use of structures as rigging anchor points
• Describe the use of slings and the angle load factor
• Internet access - users will need a device with a web browser and internet connection
• System - runs on computers, tablets and mobile devices using Windows 7 and above and MAC OS devices running IOS 11 and above
• Browsers - Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari
• Minimum browser size – none
• Audio – requires device speaker or headphones
Mintra provides free ECDIS training to City University of Applied Sciences Bremen students