Buy and assign to
via email link
Who is this course for?
This Asset Stability Training course is for personnel requiring an awareness or understanding of asset stability.
Is previous experience required?
You do not need prior knowledge or experience to complete this course.
How will this course benefit me?
This course aims to provide learners with a basic understanding of the principles of asset stability.
This course consists of the following sections:
Section One: ‘An Introduction to Asset Stability’
Section Two: ‘Understanding the Curve of Statical Stability (GZ Curve)’
Section Three: ‘Free Surface Effect’
Section Four: ‘Stability Criteria and Regulations’
Section Five: ‘Structural Strength’
How will this course benefit my company?
By ensuring you have a basic understanding of the principles of asset stability.
What standards are referred to in this course?
This course does not refer to specific legislation or standards but is written according to industry best practices.
Is there an assessment?
Once you have completed the course, you will be asked a series of questions to check your knowledge and understanding. These are based on the learning objectives for the course and have a pass mark of 80%.
• Recognise and explain fundamental terms in relation to asset stability
• Explain the law of flotation and how this impacts asset stability
• Describe what is meant by ‘stability’
• Explain the relationship between the ‘Centre of Buoyancy’ and ‘Centre of Gravity’
• Describe what is meant by longitudinal stability
• Give an overview of the purpose of an asset’s inclination test
• Give an overview of the information that should be included in an asset’s Stability Booklet
• Describe the curve of statical stability
• Give examples of the different factors which could affect the curve of statical stability
• Explain what is meant by the term ‘free surface effect’
• Explain how to minimise the effect of free surface moments
• Give an overview of the regulations governing asset stability
• Give an overview of the safe operating limits of an asset
• Give an overview of the importance of load management
• Describe the GM limiting curve
• Describe the KG limiting curve
• Describe what is meant by structural flooding arrangements
• Describe the static and dynamic forces acting on an asset
• Describe the types of stress which may occur in an asset’s structure
• Give an overview of an asset’s strength curves
• Explain the importance of inspection and maintenance
End of course assessment with an 80% pass mark.
• Internet access - users will need a device with a web browser and internet connection
• System - runs on computers, tablets and mobile devices using Windows 7 and above and MAC OS devices running IOS 11 and above
• Browsers - Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari
• Minimum browser size - none
• Audio - requires device speaker or headphones
An intuitive eLearning authoring tool to simplify knowledge sharing across organisations and fuel employee-generated learning.