Buy and assign to
via email link
Who is the course for?
Deck Officers, Maintenance Ratings and Able Seamen.
Is previous experience required?
No previous experience is required to complete this course.
How will the course benefit me?
The course will provide knowledge on the inspection and maintenance of hatch covers on bulk carriers.
How will the course benefit my company?
Personnel will have a greater understanding of the importance of inspecting and maintaining hatch covers, which will reduce the likelihood of accidents and incidents occurring.
What standards are referenced in the course?
• The International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea
• The International Convention on Load Lines
Is there an assessment?
Once you have completed the course, you will be asked a series of questions to check your knowledge and understanding. These are based on the learning objectives for the course and have a pass mark of 70%.
• Describe what a bulk carrier is
• Define what is meant by the terms ‘hatch’ and ‘hatch cover’
• Explain the importance of hatch covers
• Identify different types of hatch covers
• Describe the inspection and maintenance requirements of hatch covers
• Describe the precautions that should be taken before and after heavy weather
• Identify the safety requirements when opening and closing hatch covers
• Describe how to test the integrity of hatch covers
End of course assessment with a 70% pass mark.
• Internet access - users will need a device with a web browser and internet connection
• System - runs on computers, tablets and mobile devices using Windows 7 and above and MAC OS devices running IOS 11 and above
• Browsers - Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari
• Minimum browser size - none
• Audio - requires device speaker or headphones
Mintra's free live webinar will bring together voices from across the maritime industry.