Buy and assign to
via email link
Who is the course for?
This COLREGS - General Training course is suitable for Deck Officers.
Is previous experience required?
Previous navigational knowledge is recommended.
How will the course benefit me?
By enabling you to confidently assess navigational situations based on the involved vessels and making sound decisions to avoid collisions based on the appropriate rules.
How will the course benefit my company?
By ensuring navigational officers are able to correctly handle close quarter situations and minimising the risk of collision and non-conformities of vessels.
What standards are referenced in the course?
International Regulations for preventing Collisions at Sea
Is there an assessment?
Once you have completed the course, you will be asked a series of questions to check your knowledge and understanding. These are based on the learning objectives for the course and have a pass mark of 70%.
• Explain the structure and application of the COLREGS
• Describe what general rules apply in any condition of visibility
• Explain how narrow channels and traffic separation schemes affect the navigational situation
• Describe the general rules that apply to vessels in sight of one another
• Demonstrate how situations between two power-driven vessels should be handled
• Describe the responsibilities between different types of vessels
• Explain how restricted visibility affects collision avoidance
• Describe the general rules for navigational lights
• Demonstrate what navigational lights power-driven vessels should use
• Identify ships that are towing and pushing based on their lights
• Explain the navigational lights of different types of vessels
• Identify vessels conducting works based on their lights and signs
• Describe the sound and light signals vessels should use
End of course assessment with a 70% pass mark.
• Internet access - users will need a device with a web browser and internet connection
• System - runs on computers, tablets and mobile devices using Windows 7 and above and MAC OS devices running IOS 11 and above
• Browsers - Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari
• Minimum browser size - none
• Audio - requires device speaker or headphones