Buy and assign to
via email link
Who is the course for?
This Deck Machinery – Operation & Maintenance Training course is for all crew and personnel who operate and carry out maintenance on deck machinery.
Is previous experience required?
It would be an advantage, however, this course acts as a valuable introduction for personnel that are about to be trained in deck machinery and for those working onshore.
How will the course benefit me?
This course will give learners an awareness of deck machinery, how the equipment is used correctly and safely and how the equipment is maintained.
How will the course benefit my company?
The course will ensure that learners are following best practices as detailed in relevant legislation as well as the company procedures.
What standards are referenced in the course?
• International Safety Management (ISM) Code – safety and pollution prevention, emergency procedures including safe operation of equipment, training, and planned maintenance.
• The International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) and Class Requirements
• Code of Safe Working Practices for Merchant Seafarers (COSWP)
Is there an assessment?
Once you have completed the course, you will be asked a series of questions to check your knowledge and understanding. These are based on the learning objectives for the course and have a pass mark of 70%.
• Give an overview of the regulatory and legislative controls relating to deck machinery
• Identify types of deck machinery
• Give an overview of best practice when using deck machinery
• Describe the personal protective equipment (PPE) that should be worn whilst working with deck machinery
• Explain the importance of onboard training and familiarisation
• Explain how safe operations can be ensured when using deck machinery
• Explain the purpose of the toolbox talk (TBT)
• Explain the importance of communication at sea
• Explain why equipment should be shut down correctly
• Explain the importance of testing equipment
• Describe how maintenance is performed on deck machinery
• Give an overview of what should be included in a maintenance schedule
• Describe the function of ‘auto tension’
• Describe how the crew should respond in an emergency
End of course assessment with a 70% pass mark.
• Internet access - users will need a device with a web browser and internet connection
• System - runs on computers, tablets and mobile devices using Windows 7 and above and MAC OS devices running IOS 11 and above
• Browsers - Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari
• Minimum browser size - none
• Audio - requires device speaker or headphones
An intuitive eLearning authoring tool to simplify knowledge sharing across organisations and fuel employee-generated learning.