Buy and assign to
via email link
Who is the course for?
All Maritime Engineering Officers.
Is previous experience required?
Previous experience is not required to complete this course.
How will the course benefit me?
By providing you with knowledge of Electrical Safety Rules.
How will the course benefit my company?
Reduction of Electrical incidents and accidents
What standards are referenced in the course?
SOLAS Chapter II-1 Part D Electrical Installations
International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) 60092
Is there an assessment?
Once you have completed the course, you will be asked a series of questions to check your knowledge and understanding. These are based on the learning objectives for the course and have a pass mark of 70%.
• Explain the importance of Electrical Safety Rules
• Identify the guidance which exists to prevent injuries from electricity
• Define electrical safety terminology
• Define the role of the Master
• Define the role of the Chief Engineer
• Define the role of the Electro-Technical Officer
• Describe the general precautions to be taken and the safety procedures to be followed
• Identify the correct PPE to be used for specific electrical tasks
• Explain the safe systems of work that are used to control electrical work
• Define what is meant by electrical isolation
• Explain the key steps involved in electrical isolation
• Describe the procedures for earthing
• Describe the precautions to be taken when working on low voltage systems and live low voltage equipment
• Describe the precautions to be taken when working on high voltage systems
• Describe the precautions to be taken when working on extra low voltage systems
• Describe the procedures for the testing of high voltage and low voltage systems
• Describe the precautions to be taken during switching operations
• Give an overview of common isolation security procedures
• Describe the actions to take in an electrical emergency
• Explain the specific precautions to be taken when working on battery systems
• Explain the restrictions in place when working in hazardous areas
• Explain the specific precautions to be taken when working on static electrical equipment
• Explain the specific precautions to be taken when working on portable and temporary equipment
• Explain the specific precautions to be taken when working on telecommunications equipment
End of course assessment with a 70% pass mark.
• Internet access - users will need a device with a web browser and internet connection
• System - runs on computers, tablets and mobile devices using Windows 7 and above and MAC OS devices running IOS 11 and above
• Browsers - Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari
• Minimum browser size - none
• Audio - requires device speaker or headphones
Mintra's free live webinar will bring together voices from across the maritime industry.