Buy and assign to
via email link
Who is the course for?
This Introduction to Steering Gear Training course is aimed at Junior engineers, Junior Electrotechnical officers (ETO), Junior Deck Officers, Deck and Technical Ratings.
Is previous experience required?
No previous experience is required to complete this course.
How will the course benefit me?
This course will provide you with an introduction to how steering gear operates and the potential challenges with operation.
How will the course benefit my company?
This course will provide junior members of staff with an introduction on how steering gear operates.
What standards are referenced in the course?
International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS)
Is there an assessment?
Once you have completed the course, you will be asked a series of questions to check your knowledge and understanding. These are based on the learning objectives for the course and have a pass mark of 70%.
• Describe what steering gear is and understand its evolution
• Explain the legal requirements for steering gear
• Explain what to do if a vessel experiences steering gear failure
• Identify common issues that may arise in steering gear systems
End of course exam with a 70% pass mark.
• Internet access - users will need a device with a web browser and internet connection
• System - runs on computers, tablets and mobile devices using Windows 7 and above and MAC OS devices running IOS 11 and above
• Browsers - Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari
• Minimum browser size - none
• Audio - requires device speaker or headphones
An intuitive eLearning authoring tool to simplify knowledge sharing across organisations and fuel employee-generated learning.