Buy and assign to
via email link
Who is this course for?
Any personnel taking on the duties of a Safety Officer or Safety Representative.
Is previous experience required?
Those eligible to perform duties as “ Safety Officer” or a “Safety Representative”, are limited to crew members who have no less than 2 years consecutive sea service since attaining the age of 18, which in the case of a safety representative on board a tanker shall include at least 6 months service on such a ship.
How will this course benefit me?
After successfully completing this course, and having the “Safety Officer – Checklist” completed and approved, you should be able to undertake the duties and responsibilities as Safety Officer, as defined in STCW Code 2010 Table A-II/2 and A-III/2.
You will become a certified Safety Officer.
How will this course benefit my company?
Ensuring you are qualified and certified as a “Safety Officer”.
What standards are referred to in this course?
• MCA Code of Safe Working Practices for Merchant Seamen
• This Safety Officer course also covers relevant parts of STCW Code Tables A-II/2 and A-III/2
• IMO Model Course 3.11.
Is there an assessment?
Once you have completed the course, you will be asked a series of questions to check your knowledge and understanding. These are based on the learning objectives for the course and have a pass mark of 70%.
• Describe the responsibilities of the Ship Safety Officer
• Explain how a Ship Safety Officer is appointed
• Describe how the Ship Safety Officer ensures the working environment is safe
• Give an overview of how the Ship Safety Officer should handle incidents
• Give an overview of how health and safety inspections are conducted
• Explain how training is carried out for new crew members
• Explain the role of the Port State Control
• Give an overview of the regulatory requirements for crew safety
End of course exam with a 70% pass mark.
• Internet access - users will need a device with a web browser and internet connection
• System - runs on computers, tablets and mobile devices using Windows 7 and above and MAC OS devices running IOS 11 and above
• Browsers - Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari
• Minimum browser size - none
• Audio - requires device speaker or headphones
For the second consecutive year, The Nautical Institute has awarded a Certificate of Recognition to eight of Mintra’s maritime training products,