Buy and assign to
via email link
A refinery uses a number of processing units to transform crude oil into a wide variety of products that are marketed to customers. This course examines the basics of crude oil and how it is processed in a refinery.
• Define the following terms: crude oil, specific gravity, API gravity, paraffinic crude, and asphaltic crude
• Explain the difference between a sweet crude and a sour crude
• Define the term "hydrocarbon"
• Given the name of a hydrocarbon, state the number and the arrangement of carbon atoms
• Define the following terms: paraffin, olefin, naphthene, and aromatic
• Explain the function of a crude oil distillation unit
• List, from lightest to heaviest, typical fractions from a crude oil distillation unit
• Explain how gases, SR gasoline, naphtha, and kerosene from the crude unit are typically processed in a refinery
• List typical products from a gas plant, a catalytic reformer, and the processing of kerosene
• Explain how gas oils are typically processed in a refinery
• List typical products from a fluid catalytic cracker unit, an isomerization unit, and an alkylation unit
• Explain how residuum is typically processed in a refinery
• List typical products from a vacuum unit, a deasphalting unit, and a coking unit
• Define, in general terms, the concept of octane rating
• Describe how motor fuels are blended
• Explain the effects of vapor pressure on motor fuel blending
• Internet Access - Users will need a computer or device with a web browser and an internet connection.
• System - Runs on desktop computers and tablets. Microsoft Windows 7, 8 and 10 and MAC OS. Apple Tablets running IOS 11.
• Browser - Runs on Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari, no plug-ins required
• Minimum browser size - 1024x672
• Audio – Requires speaker or headphones.
• Notes - Not suitable for smartphones
Mintra sponsors International SOS Duty of Care Awards
Digital learning specialist Mintra has won a raft of new contracts that will deliver safety-critical training courses to over 3,000 international...
Maritime subject matter expert Gareth Mathias has written Mintra's new medical evacuation course