Buy and assign to
via email link
Who is the course for?
This Safety Improvement Proposal Training course is aimed at individuals working in the offshore oil and gas industry where a safety observation system is used at their installation.
Is previous experience required?
You do not need prior knowledge or experience to complete this course.
How will the course benefit me?
Everyone on an offshore installation has the right and duty to intervene if they see an unsafe act or condition. This course will give you an understanding of how Safety Improvement Proposals (SIPs) can be used to report hazards and improve safety.
The knowledge gained in this course will help you gain the confidence to call a time out for safety. It will also indicate the actions you should take to report safety concerns.
How will the course benefit my company?
By ensuring you are fully aware of how to report and record safety observations, you contribute to the safety of the asset, your fellow workers and yourself. A reduction in incidents means a safer working environment for everyone.
What standards are referenced in the course?
This course does not refer to specific legislation or standards but is written to current HSE guidelines and industry best practice.
Is there an assessment?
Once you have completed the course, you will be asked a series of questions to check your knowledge and understanding. These are based on the learning objectives for the course and have a pass mark of 80%.
• Explain why it is necessary to manage safety improvement proposals
• Describe what a SIP is
• Identify who is responsible for making and managing safety improvement proposals
• List the information to be recorded on a SIP card
• Identify the categories listed on a SIP card
• Describe how safety proposals can be categorised by risk level
• Describe what should happen to completed safety improvement suggestions
• Identify the key elements of an observational safety system
• Describe the benefits of observational safety systems
• Explain the importance of taking a time out for safety (TOFS)
End of course exam with an 80% pass mark.
• Internet access - users will need a device with a web browser and internet connection
• System - runs on computers, tablets and mobile devices using Windows 7 and above and MAC OS devices running IOS 11 and above
• Browsers - Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari
• Minimum browser size - none
• Audio - requires device speaker or headphones
Emmanolia Kolias appointed as the Women's International Shipping & Trading Association (WISTA) Board Member