Buy and assign to
via email link
Who is the course for?
This eLearning course is aimed at individuals working in any industry who require an understanding of how workplace wastes can and should be managed. The course is not designed specifically for those who have particular environmental responsibilities but provides a high-level overview of industrial waste management.
Is previous experience required?
You do not need prior knowledge or experience to complete this course and it is assumed that you are competent in your designated role.
How will the course benefit me?
Waste management means more than just recycling; it's about managing resources effectively. This course will give you a basic understanding of the types of waste generated by industry and the impacts they can have on the environment.
The knowledge gained in this course will help you to understand the role that you can play in managing waste at work. It will also introduce the waste hierarchy and the various ways in which waste can be reduced and managed.
How will the course benefit my company?
Waste doesn't just impact the environment; it also has an effect on operating costs. By ensuring you are fully aware of the options available for managing waste, you can help your company to operate responsibly and efficiently. Good waste monitoring and management also helps to comply with legislative and regulatory requirements.
What standards are referenced in the course?
This course does not refer to specific legislation or standards but is written to current HSE guidelines and industry best practice.
Is there an assessment?
Once you have completed the course, you will be asked a series of questions to check your knowledge and understanding. These are based on the learning objectives for the course and have a pass mark of 80%.
• Outline waste management principles, including circular economy and zero waste
• Identify the types of waste that are generated in different work environments
• Recognise activities that produce waste within offshore, onshore and office settings
• Outline the environmental impacts associated with offshore, onshore and office waste streams
• Identify the policy and legislative controls relating to wastes
• Explain the waste hierarchy
• Discuss, using examples, the opportunities for preventing and reducing the amount of waste generated
• Discuss opportunities for re-using wastes
• Discuss opportunities for recycling and recovering wastes generated
• State when wastes must be disposed of to landfill
• Recognise the importance of monitoring and measuring resource use and waste management
• Describe how your actions can contribute towards reducing and managing waste streams
• Explain the role and responsibilities of the company in reducing and managing its waste streams
• Internet Access - Users will need a computer or device with a web browser and an internet connection.
• System - Runs on desktop computers and tablets. Microsoft Windows 7, 8 and 10 and MAC OS. Apple Tablets running IOS 11.
• Browser - Runs on Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari, no plug-ins required
• Minimum browser size - 1024x672
• Audio – Requires speaker or headphones.
• Notes - Not suitable for smartphones
Training consultant and Mintra SME Gareth Mathias believes knowledge is power
Mintra has teamed up with one of the UK’s leading universities to recognise and reward the brightest emerging talent in the field of technology.
SafeMetrix allows HR and crewing managers to look at the skills of seafarers beyond their CV