Buy and assign to
via email link
Who is the course for?
This Cultural Awareness (Maritime) Training course is for all shipboard and shore-based personnel.
Is previous experience required?
No previous experience is required to complete this course.
How will the course benefit me?
This course will provide you with an awareness of how to respect different cultures
How will the course benefit my company?
By developing seafarers’ understanding of cultural diversity resulting in a more positive and efficient workforce
What standards are referenced in the course?
No standards or regulations are referenced in this course.
Is there an assessment?
• Give an overview of the cultural diversity in the shipping industry
• Describe the complexities of culture
• Explain the differences between ethnicity and race
• Identify the ten Cultural Universals
• Describe stereotypes and how they can impact the ability to understand different cultures
• Describe how language has evolved in the shipping industry
• Explain the risks associated with a general lack of cultural awareness in crew members
• Give an overview of how the lack of communication and loneliness can affect a seafarer
• Describe the benefits of raising cultural awareness amongst seafarers
• Describe how Shipping Companies and Seafarer Organisations can raise cultural awareness
• Explain how you can improve your cultural competence
Exam in the e-learning course
• Internet access - users will need a device with a web browser and internet connection
• System - runs on computers, tablets and mobile devices using Windows 7 and above and MAC OS devices running IOS 11 and above
• Browsers - Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari
• Minimum browser size - none
• Audio - requires device speaker or headphones