Buy and assign to
via email link
Who is the course for?
This Onboard Waste Reduction Training course is aimed at any personnel who requires an awareness of the environmental impacts associated with merchant shipping waste and how these wastes can be managed.
Is previous experience required?
No previous experience is required to complete this course.
How will the course benefit me?
This course will provide learners with an understanding of the types of waste generated by shipping, how these wastes impact the environment and the methods that can be used to reduce and manage waste.
How will the course benefit my company?
Environmentally aware personnel can help to reduce the environmental impacts of your operations and improve environmental performance.
What standards are referenced in the course?
The European Union (EU) Waste Framework Directive
The International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships (MARPOL) 1973 - Annex IV
Merchant Shipping (Prevention of Pollution by Sewage and Garbage from Ships) Regulations
Deposits in the Sea (Exemption) Order
Environmental Protection (Duty of Care) Regulations
Special/Hazardous Waste Regulations
Is there an assessment?
Once you have completed the course, you will be asked a series of questions to check your knowledge and understanding. These are based on the learning objectives for the course and have a pass mark of 70%.
• Explain the importance of reducing and managing waste in general
• Identify the different types of waste that are generated at sea
• Describe the environmental impacts associated with waste streams
• Identify the regulatory controls relating to waste
• Describe the waste hierarchy
• Explain the ways in which companies can manage and control waste to minimise environmental impact
• Describe the everyday actions that all personnel can take in order to minimise waste
End of course exam with a 70% pass mark.
• Internet access - users will need a device with a web browser and internet connection
• System - runs on computers, tablets and mobile devices using Windows 7 and above and MAC OS devices running IOS 11 and above
• Browsers - Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari
• Minimum browser size - none
• Audio - requires device speaker or headphones
Emmanolia Kolias appointed as the Women's International Shipping & Trading Association (WISTA) Board Member