Buy and assign to
via email link
Who is the course for?
Any deck & engine officer on a vessel sailing into polar waters.
Is previous experience required?
No previous experience is required.
How will the course benefit me?
By providing you with an understanding of the Polar Water Operational Manual and its specific purpose for your vessel and to facilitate an easier vessel familiarisation using the actual manual onboard.
How will the course benefit my company?
Ensuring personnel are able to familiarise themselves with the specific rules and guidelines outlined in the vessel’s Polar Water Operational Manual to comply with the International Code for Ships Operating in Polar Waters.
What standards are referenced in the course?
• International Code for Ships Operating in Polar Waters (Polar Code)
• The International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS)
• International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution of Ships (MARPOL)
Is there an assessment?
Once you have completed the course, you will be asked a series of questions to check your knowledge and understanding. These are based on the learning objectives for the course and have a pass mark of 70%.
• Describe the role of the Polar Code and the Polar Water Operational Manual (PWOM)
• Explain the importance of understanding ship specific operational capabilities and design limitations
• Demonstrate how the ship’s operational procedures help to mitigate the hazards of polar waters
• Describe how the PWOM can help with risk management
• Explain the specific considerations for joint operations
Exam as part of the course, two attempts.
• Internet access - users will need a device with a web browser and internet connection
• System - runs on computers, tablets and mobile devices using Windows 7 and above and MAC OS devices running IOS 11 and above
• Browsers - Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari
• Minimum browser size - none
• Audio - requires device speaker or headphones
Mintra's free live webinar will bring together voices from across the maritime industry.