Buy and assign to
via email link
Who is the course for?
This Safe use of Maritime Cranes Training course is suitable for Deck Officers, Able Seamen and Engineering Ratings.
Is previous experience required?
No previous experience is required to complete this course.
How will the course benefit me?
By providing you with knowledge of the safe use and maintenance of shipborne cranes.
How will the course benefit my company?
By reducing the likelihood of accidents and improving personnel’s awareness of how to maintain shipborne cranes.
What standards are referenced in the course?
Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) Code of Safe Working Practices for Merchant Seafarers
Is there an assessment?
Once you have completed the course, you will be asked a series of questions to check your knowledge and understanding. These are based on the learning objectives for the course and have a pass mark of 70%.
• Identify the different types of cranes used in the Maritime industry
• Describe potential hazards when using lifting equipment
• Explain how risk assessments are carried out
• Describe how to prepare for lifting operations
• Identify the different types of warning devices and safety limits
• Identify common signals that are used during lifting operations
• Explain the basic care and maintenance requirements of cranes and lifting equipment
End of course assessment with a 70% pass mark.
• Internet access - users will need a device with a web browser and internet connection
• System - runs on computers, tablets and mobile devices using Windows 7 and above and MAC OS devices running IOS 11 and above
• Browsers - Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari
• Minimum browser size - none
• Audio - requires device speaker or headphones
Emmanolia Kolias appointed as the Women's International Shipping & Trading Association (WISTA) Board Member