Buy and assign to
via email link
Who is this course for?
Is previous experience required?
Documented 12 months seaservice as an officer onboard an ISPS vessel.
How will this course benefit me?
After successfully completing this course, you should be able to undertake the duties and responsibilities of a Ship Security Officer, as defined in section A/12.2 of the ISPS Code and in section A-VI/5 of the STCW Code. The course enables you to maintain and supervise the implementation of the Ship Security Plan, evaluate the security risk, threat and vulnerability, make regular inspections to ensure that appropriate safeguards are implemented and maintained, and ensure that the security systems are operated, tested and calibrated correctly.
How will this course benefit my company?
By ensuring you are qualified and certified as a Ship Security Officer (SSO).
What standards are referred to in this course?
STCW A-VI/5 and ISPS code section A/12.2.
The course is approved by the Norwegian maritime Authority. Approved certificate as Ship Security Officer will be issued upon course completion.
Is there an assessment?
Once you have completed the course, you will be asked a series of questions to check your knowledge and understanding. These are based on the learning objectives for the course and have a pass mark of 70%.
This course is a combined training consisting of: Elearning and onboard training (exercises and checklists).
To complete the course, it is required that you are employed by a company which has a plan for onboard training with these kind of activities.
The course will not be approved for any persons without a connection to a company as described above.
• Describe how to maintain and supervise the implementation of the Ship Security Plan
• Explain how to evaluate security risk, threat and vulnerability
• Describe how to make regular inspections to ensure that appropriate safeguards are implemented and maintained
• Describe how to ensure that the security systems are oprated, tested and calibrated
• Internet access - users will need a device with a web browser and internet connection
• System - runs on computers, tablets and mobile devices using Windows 7 and above and MAC OS devices running IOS 11 and above
• Browsers - Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari
• Minimum browser size – none
• Audio – requires device speaker or headphones
SafeMetrix allows HR and crewing managers to look at the skills of seafarers beyond their CV