Buy and assign to
via email link
Who is the course for?
This eLearning course is aimed at individuals required to carry out grinding operations using abrasive wheels.
Is previous experience required?
There is no requirement for prior knowledge or experience before completing this course and it is assumed that you are competent in your designated role. Note that this course does not qualify you to work with abrasive wheels and additional practical training may be required.
How will the course benefit me?
Abrasive wheels can be very dangerous if they aren't used properly. This course will give you a basic overview of how to correctly use abrasive wheels, the hazards involved in grinding operations and the key safety steps to follow in order to avoid injury.
The knowledge gained in this course will help you to stay safe when carrying out grinding activities. It will also indicate how to troubleshoot some of the common problems with abrasive wheels.
How will the course benefit my company?
By ensuring you are fully aware of how to carry out grinding safely, you contribute to the safety of the asset, your fellow workers and yourself. You will also help your company to comply with regulations governing the use of abrasive wheels and grinding equipment.
What standards are referenced in the course?
This course is written to current HSE guidelines and industry best practice and used British legislation, such as the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER), as an example of applicable legislation.
Is there an assessment?
Once you have completed the course, you will be asked a series of questions to check your knowledge and understanding. These are based on the learning objectives for the course and have a pass mark of 100%.
• Define abrasive wheels
• Explain that the use of abrasive wheels is often regulated and identify an example
• Explain the basic composition of abrasive wheels and identify the key materials used
• Identify different types of abrasive wheels
• Explain the importance of using the correct clamping force during grinding operations
• Describe the procedure for changing cutting or grinding discs for angle grinders
• Identify the key hazards of grinding operations
• Explain the importance of safety during grinding operations and identify the key safety steps which should be taken
• Explain the safety checklist to be used during grinding operations
• Explain the importance of wearing the correct PPE during grinding operations
• Identify common problems encountered when using abrasive wheels
• Internet Access - Users will need a computer or device with a web browser and an internet connection.
• System - Runs on desktop computers and tablets. Microsoft Windows 7, 8 and 10 and MAC OS. Apple Tablets running IOS 11.
• Browser - Runs on Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari, no plug-ins required
• Minimum browser size - 1024x672
• Audio – Requires speaker or headphones.
• Notes - Not suitable for smartphones
Mintra sponsors International SOS Duty of Care Awards
Digital learning specialist Mintra has won a raft of new contracts that will deliver safety-critical training courses to over 3,000 international...
Maritime subject matter expert Gareth Mathias has written Mintra's new medical evacuation course