Buy and assign to
via email link
Who is this course for:
Every seafarer with designated security duties (STCW Table A-VI/6-2)
Is previous experience required?
You do not need prior knowledge or experience to complete this course and it is assumed that you are competent in your designated role
How will this course benefit me?
Piracy and armed robbery is a real threat to seafarer’s onboard ships and mobile units at sea. 1st January 2014 a requirement about seafarer’s security training was put in force for all ships to which the ISPS Code applies.
The training consists of an e-learning course and the performance of certain on board activities described in a checklist. The client’s approved instructors must sign completed checklists for each trainee. When the training is completed a certificate is issued by the Norwegian Maritime Authority.
This course will be a part of a blended learning in two stages:
The first stage is this e-learning course
The second stage will be on board training reflecting the realities on-board the vessel you are serving on. This training might take a couple of weeks or more to complete, as you will be required to participate in a number of drills.
The training will be complete when all the elements of the checklist pertaining to your designated security duties.
Completion of this course requires that you are employed in a company that has a plan in place for on board training for this kind of activities. Contact Mintra for more information about how to complete this training.
The course will not be approved for private individuals.
How will this course benefit my company?
By ensuring you have the knowledge and are certified according to the STCW regulations.
What standards are referred to in this course?
STCW - Security Awareness, table A-VI/6-2
SOLAS - Safety of Life at Sea
MARPOL - Marine Pollution
This training programme in Designated Security Duties is approved by the Norwegian Maritime Authority.
Is there an assessment?
Once you have completed the course, you will be asked a series of questions to check your knowledge and understanding. These are based on the learning objectives for the course and have a pass mark of 80%.
• Describe global threats at sea
• Describe the International maritime security policies, such as the ISM code and STCW
• Describe the different security measures and procedures normally used aboard
• Be familiar with the different Security threats
• Describe which preventive measures we can use to prevent an attack
• Be familiar with the procedures and what to do after an attack
• Internet access - users will need a device with a web browser and internet connection
• System - runs on computers, tablets and mobile devices using Windows 7 and above and MAC OS devices running IOS 11 and above
• Browsers - Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari
• Minimum browser size – none
• Audio – requires device speaker or headphones
SafeMetrix allows HR and crewing managers to look at the skills of seafarers beyond their CV