Buy and assign to
via email link
Who is the course for?
This eLearning course is aimed at individuals who pack, mark, inspect or handle cargo for shipment by sea and/or air.
Is previous experience required?
You do not need prior knowledge or experience to complete this course and it is assumed that you are competent in your designated role.
How will the course benefit me?
To ensure that cargo shipments are made safely, everyone involved in the handling process needs to know how cargo should be handled, lifted, stored and labelled. This course will give you a basic understanding of cargo handling operations and the requirements for dangerous goods being shipped by sea and/or by air.
The knowledge gained in this course will help you to play your part in the cargo handling process, while staying safe in your day-to-day activities. The course also provides an overview of how waste must be managed and transported.
How will the course benefit my company?
By ensuring all parties involved understand the requirements for cargo shipments, goods can be transported safely and effectively, without unnecessary risks or delays.
What standards are referenced in the course?
This course has been written with reference to the United Nations (UN) Recommendations on the Transport of Dangerous Goods, the International Maritime Organization (IMO) International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code (IMDG Code), and the International Air Transportation Association (IATA) Dangerous Goods Regulations. Current industry best practice is also referenced throughout.
Is there an assessment?
Once you have completed the course, you will be asked a series of questions to check your knowledge and understanding. These are based on the learning objectives for the course and have a pass mark of 100%.
• Recognise who has responsibility for safe cargo handling and transportation
• State how dropped objects can be prevented
• Describe the best practices for lifting and slinging
• Explain how cargo can be carried safely by sea and by air
• Outline the rules and regulations relating to the carriage of dangerous goods by sea
• Outline the rules and regulations relating to the carriage of dangerous goods by air
• State how to deal with cargo that is unfit for transport
• Summarise how offshore waste is sorted and shipped for disposal
• Internet Access - Users will need a computer or device with a web browser and an internet connection.
• System - Runs on desktop computers and tablets. Microsoft Windows 7, 8 and 10 and MAC OS. Apple Tablets running IOS 11.
• Browser - Runs on Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari, no plug-ins required
• Minimum browser size - 1024x672
• Audio – Requires speaker or headphones.
• Notes - Not suitable for smartphones
Mintra sponsors International SOS Duty of Care Awards
Digital learning specialist Mintra has won a raft of new contracts that will deliver safety-critical training courses to over 3,000 international...
Maritime subject matter expert Gareth Mathias has written Mintra's new medical evacuation course